Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Berkshire/Oxon Sunday Morning - 3


Clanfield - Church of St Stephen
Originally uploaded by ChurchCrawler.

I crossed the Thames into Oxfordshire via several little humped bridges, two controlled by traffic lights. I pulled up outside the next church as members of the congregation here were dispersing - people looked at me here but no-one spoke to me at all as I headed off to the open door of the porch

CLANFIELD, Oxon, St Stephen
has a medieval tower, an over-restored chancel and the nave and aisle C19 rebuilding (1868). The south porch shelters a recut (to the point of disinterest) Norman doorway. High on the tower is an odd and large statue of St Stephen with beady eyes and carrying a bible and some stones (the symbol of his martyrdom). Inside scraped but I found to be quite handsome and unexpected was the Transitional arcade between aisle and nave.

No comments:

Post a Comment