Monday, January 14, 2008

Hamming it up in Somerset - part 1

Today 13th March 2007 was special weatherwise, an early taste of Summer, rather than Spring, if you could get out of the cold North wind which blew across the Somerset levels.
My Crawl took me to mostly first-visit churches (bar one) and to open doors (bar one, or two to be more correct).
I took the A37 to the point where I finished two years ago at Lydford. Turning right at the crossroads brought me to the odd little church of

ST MARY MAGDALEN, KEINTON MANDEVILLE
It merits four and a half lines in Pevsner, and seems to have been the subject of a recent restoration, perhaps in celebration of the Millenium. The LychGate, churchyard paths and walls are all new, as is the small room in the NW corner of the church. The chancel is C13, with a single lancet as an east window, but the rest seems c1800. The tower could almost be built out of Lego, and has a bizarre
NE stair turret projection about half the size of the tower itself!
The church was locked but four keyholders were listed - phone only. Now I did get annoyed, but probably on reflection more with myself, cos I turned on the phone only for it to flash Battery Low - Please recharge! before turning off. Nevermind I had spotted the rectory - but here too I was disappointed to find that it was rented out for 6 months to people who didn't have the key, nor a sniff of it.

Hoping this was not going to be the sign of things to come I carried on with my planned targets for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment