Saturday, January 19, 2008

A mainly Forest Crawl - 1

15th March 2007 A late morning start saw me pass my £5.10p toll to the man in the M48's booth as I nipped across the River Severn and River Wye, destination Gloucestershire's Forest of Dean.
I was intending to cross of my list three churches which have bugged me for years in not visiting.
ST PETER, CLEARWELL, GLOUCESTERSHIRE
was a revisit - it just was alongside the road, and I haven't been here with a digital camera before. Fancy Victorian by one of the greatest (in my opinion) but lesser-known architects John Middleton, who did a lot of work in Cheltenham. Quite a "town" church design, the tower and spire standing at the south west corner and looking almost like an afterthought! Inside banded red Forest stone and Bath stone create an unusual effect for the arcades and chancel arch. Here is a case for not using flash, the stone appears white, whereas it is in reality an intense cream colour. Lush carving to the capitals, and typically Middleton getting larger and most elaborate in the chancel.

No comments:

Post a Comment