Monday, January 14, 2008

Yesterday - all my troubles seemed so far away! part 2

I headed towards Ross, my targets for the day were all N and W of here, but I couldn't resist stopping for a revisit at
ST LAWRENCE, WESTON UNDER PENYARD, HEREFS
Tall C14 tower, the rest all rather over-restored and long and low in contrast to the tower. The porch may contain medieval timbers but lacks character. Inside is a reworked Normn arcade, the chancel is EE and the aisle itself C14. Not a great deal to really enjoy - some animal head stops to the arcade hood moulding, a couple of Georgian memorials (the best to James Rudge d1808, with a less than expansive inscription, a relief above showing a man cradling another fallen, and a tethered horse behind ; above half-kneeling presumably the deceased, a late example of this motif) and two fonts. [I found the church open]

No comments:

Post a Comment