Saturday, January 19, 2008

Hamming it up in Somerset - part 6


St Michael, Somerton
Originally uploaded by ChurchCrawler
ST MICHAEL, SOMERTON
was my revisit, and I felt a little tearful as I remembered being here with Mum. I believe I sat in the same pub and even at the same table for lunch as we did on my last visit here.
The church is larger than I remember it, wide nave and aisle, transepts (well south tower transept) and chancel. It is largely C13 and early C14, gone over in Perp times, trying to be swagger but apart from one feature failing. That feature is the awesome C15 roof to the nave, with mystical beasts (almost Chinese dragon-like) instead of tracery above the tie-beams, and close cusped panelling etc. Other random points - the tower has an octagonal top stage, big bulky pulpit dated 1615, chancel narrower than the chancel arch.

No comments:

Post a Comment