Monday, January 14, 2008

Yesterday - all my troubles seemed so far away! part 1

23/1/2007 Yesterday was the first cold clear day of this winter, and I had the day off. The weather seemed to entice me out and away from TV and the computer. This proved to be a fantastic decision, just what I needed to heal my spirit and dispel my dark mood after days of cloud rain and howling gales. The English countryside looked idyllic , even Gloucester looked quite nice!

Just after 11am I was rattling the door of a church I always seem to drive past and never visit in my hurry to get somewhere further on! Not today.

ST SWITHUN, HEMPSTED, GLOS stands on a small hill above the flood plain of the Severn, which from the look of things could be very handy in the next few days given the amount of standing water in the fields. A simple church, nave with south porch, central tower (like
many others locally in Gloucester) and chancel, all late C15, with a touch of the C19 in the lengthened nave and N vestry. Inside a Norman font, a largely medieval panelled ceiling to the nave, and a fine tomb chest with painted effigy of Judge Atkins d1610 in his robes, one hand clasping a scroll. [I found the church open]
Reached by a footpath from the churchyard is a C14 well house, but local dog-walkers said I would need boots as it was very muddy - so will have to wait for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment